Do you have a goal in mind for organising your space? What’s your motivation for making a change?
These are questions I ask my clients before we work together – it helps to focus the mind on the task in hand.
“If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.”Lucius Annaeus Seneca
With lockdown almost upon us once again, taking the time to create space at home that allows you to function in a clear and organised way is paramount. Darker days and early evenings make the temptation to curl up from late afternoon is huge. The reality is that many people still need to work from home. They need to manage daily routines with family and make allowances for everyone being at home for more time than usual.
Things people have told me they want to bring into line right now are:
- To reduce the brain fog.
- Eliminate the clutter piles in the kitchen and around the house.
- Get simple things done more quickly.
- Find more time to enjoy some self-care and sleep.
- Make plans for the good time ahead.
All things that will lead to a positive outcome. And things that once established, are far easier to maintain in the weeks and months ahead.
So how do I get started with organising my home?
All good, but how do I get there?
- Once you’re in the right frame of mind to make a change, set aside a block of uninterrupted time to get started. This could be once children have gone to school/bed/when everyone else is settled watching TV.
- Eat well and stay hydrated – a rumbling tummy or dry mouth can easily distract you from the job!
- Accept that things will look worse before they get better! It’s all part of the process…
- Keep a couple of bin bags and charity bags to hand and start SMALL. A drawer or tabletop that’s been bugging you will get you into the swing of things before you move on to bigger spaces.
- Declutter the things you no longer need/use/love BEFORE you try to organise what’s left.
Just a few basic steps there to get you going. Give it a try and let me know how you get on! I share bits and bobs from my life and home over on my social channels, so come and take a look!
Feeling overwhelmed or just can’t get started? I offer in person and virtual organising sessions – this might be what you need to kick-start you into a new world of organised bliss! Good luck!